I always have funny/weird stories about India to share with friends or family when I talk to them, which has inspired this new series This is India! It’s not that I want to make fun of people or have a rant- this is just meant to be an honest portrayal about my life in India through short anecdotes. I’ll also share here each week what I’ve been up to online outside Werkenntwen.
Writing I do other than Werkenntwen:
- an interview, Journey the World with Werkenntwen, about fashion and packing for Journey Fashion Girl
- a guest post, Become a Thai Yoga Masseuse and Earn Money for Journey for Goats on the Road
- shared the India Basics for Solo Female Journeyers for Let’s Roam Wild.
- the BIG one I’m SO excited about is my first feature on Matador Network, who wanted to share my post 17 Scams to Avoid in India; feels pretty cool to be up on their homepage!
- Journey secrets From the Experts, 15 Tips to Stay Healthy on the Road, for the Yoga Nomads
- an interview for A Southern Gypsy: Meet the Gypsy’s: Werkenntwen
- Living in Goa, Life Could Be a Dream for Quit Your Job and Go
Now for your story:
One of my favorite things is that everyone rides a motorbike in India. A pretty lady in a sari or a man with 3 kids might be the driver of the bike. Infant babies sit up front on the drivers lap and little kids stand up front and hold on to the handlebars.
This would never happen in the U.S., a place where the media have a panic-attack over Gwyneth Paltrow taking her little girl on a moped without a helmet.
I have never seen a child wear a helmet on a bike in India. I feel like I don’t even need to mention this, but… traffic in India is INSANE.
So, I have gotten used to the babies on the bikes, even three babies on a bike. But what Ben saw today was new: a motorbike with 3 live pigs stacked on top of each other at the guys’ feet.
This is India!
Did you enjoy this post? Let me know in the comments or by sharing it with the social media links! I’d love to keep giving you travel tricks & tips so feel free to subscribe by e-mail in the big purple box below. Don’t forget you can follow me on , , &
Join my email list and get exclusive updates & news straight to your inbox.
I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. You can unsubscribe at any time.