• this is india electrocuted in india

This is India! (eighteen)

Welcome back to This is India! I always have funny/weird stories about India to share with friends or family when I talk to them. This is just meant to be an honest portrayal about my life in India through short anecdotes. I also share here what I’ve been up to online outside Werkenntwen.

What I was up to other than here:

  • I did an interview on Glamourous Journeyer about fashion & travel
  • I’m up to something secret this week. I’ll give you a hint… you might see me on tv for few minutes ;) Say a little prayer that I don’t have an anxiety attack this weekend over it!
  • I am also losing complete motivation to learn Hindi. Everyone speaks English so I have no one to practice with!

Now your story,

It hit me out of nowhere- I wasn’t even sure what happened but I had been pushed to the ground and my housekeeper was at my side helping me back up. I started to cry and said like a super proper girl would, “what the fuck was that!!?”

Now, I’m no electrician… but from what I gather… it’s NOT advisable to place your thumb directly on the metal of an exposed plug.

Our lamp was plugged in, but the plastic bits on the plug had fallen off (cheap ass lamp plug…) and it was two little pieces of metal exposed. I tried to unplug it and pushed my thumb right onto the metal.

While American voltage is about 120, Indian voltage is a staggering 230.

So, yeah I got blown back. My thumb had a huge electrical burn and I couldn’t feel my hand for an hour.

This really has more to do with a blonde moment than India, but hey at least you learned an important lesson about voltage- imagine what it can do to your electronics! Here’s to hoping I don’t get electrocuted in India again.

This is India!

 

Did you enjoy this post? Let me know in the comments or by sharing it with the social media links! I’d love to keep giving you travel tricks & tips so feel free to subscribe by e-mail in the big purple box below. Don’t forget you can follow me on , ,  & bloglovin‘.

2016-10-13T10:05:55+00:00

About the Author:

Rachel Jones left a career in nursing and lived on the beaches of Goa, India for the five years. Now she lives in Mexico where she gives advice on the 40+ countries she’s visited in the last 10 years. She’s the author of two India travel e-books: Guide to India and Insider’s Guide to Goa. Her blog, Werkenntwen, like its name, is a contradiction combining off-beat adventurous places with glamorous and bespoke travel. Werkenntwen has been featured in ELLE, Marie Claire, Grazia, and Cosmopolitan magazines. She’s a writer for Bravo TV.

30 Comments

  1. Kate October 3, 2014 at 4:38 pm - Reply

    Ouch! I was pushing trying to shift my clothes washer in Uganda (also 230) and had the same thing happen. It’s shocking how it doesn’t really hurt, but it is instant tears. I hope it doesn’t happen to you again!

    • Rachel Jones October 5, 2014 at 1:22 pm - Reply

      you’re right it’s instant tears- like partly just confusion !

  2. rebecca October 3, 2014 at 5:12 pm - Reply

    what??? mental!!! did you knoew about the voltage before hand? I guess you would not of thought about it. Love these series!

    • Rachel Jones October 5, 2014 at 1:21 pm - Reply

      I knew it was a different voltage as the screws on my computer zap me when it’s charging and sitting on my lap, but didnt realize how strong it was.

  3. Renuka October 3, 2014 at 7:32 pm - Reply

    Update me when you appear on TV. I want to see you! :) Good luck!

    • Rachel Jones October 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm - Reply

      Ok. It’ll be on US TV but hopefully on youtube or something and I can send a link.

      • Tina D'souza October 8, 2014 at 9:55 pm - Reply

        Rachael, While I promise not to spill the beans about the Television debut, I just know you did great! I do have a question, though………..Where do you find the DORITOS? Newtons?

        • Rachel Jones October 9, 2014 at 5:02 pm - Reply

          Was great meeting you & yes they have them at newtons! not always though and they are like 600 rs.

  4. Justine October 3, 2014 at 7:50 pm - Reply

    Oh no! I’ve done the same thing… but with a lower voltage. Scary! Awesome that you’re going to be on TV. Good luck :)

    • Rachel Jones October 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm - Reply

      I bet even at a lower voltage it would hurt a lot! crazy.

  5. Lindy Delmage October 3, 2014 at 9:55 pm - Reply

    I feel like I can relate to this as I am in Agra at the moment and I electrocute myself if I touch the metal taps on my shower when they’re wet… oh India

  6. venus john October 3, 2014 at 11:11 pm - Reply

    you have a guardian angel with you…I feel in india people are good at jinxing you..which could also cause accidents..i could not speak hindi either when I lived in goa..even though I had to learn hindi in school..but in Bombay,i picked it up in 6 months..

    • Rachel Jones October 5, 2014 at 1:18 pm - Reply

      wow 6 months. that’s very impressive. I’m a slower learner and find it pretty hard… also I don’t always go to class and am starting to call in “sick” a little bit.

  7. Michelle October 3, 2014 at 11:32 pm - Reply

    You have a housekeeper?

    • Rachel Jones October 5, 2014 at 1:17 pm - Reply

      Yes, but it’s very common. I don’t know any foreigner living here who doesn’t have one. It’s a bit more in Goa price-wise, but in Bombay I know Indians who have them that pay about 50 rs per hour cleaning.. so the woman will come for 2 bucks a day and clean or cook for a couple hours.

  8. Jo October 4, 2014 at 8:46 am - Reply

    Ouch, sounds painful! I thought the whole point of the third pin of the plug (the earth wire) was to stop you getting shocks, now I’m going to be paranoid I’ll blow myself up! Looking forward to hearing more about your tv appearance, how exciting!

    • Rachel Jones October 5, 2014 at 12:50 pm - Reply

      Yeah I did too.. I”m not quite sure how any of it works now. I’m so cautious to turn the socket off below I plug in that lamp now

  9. Franca October 4, 2014 at 2:06 pm - Reply

    Ouch! That must have hurt!
    On another note, keep trying learning the language, I feel the same in Berlin, not motivated at all at learning German because everyone speaks and talks to me in English, but I still feel I should make an effort.

    • Rachel Jones October 5, 2014 at 12:49 pm - Reply

      It did hurt, but I was more surprised that anything. I can imagine that would be hard to continue with German especially when they want to practice their English with you.

  10. Prasad Np October 4, 2014 at 3:42 pm - Reply

    Truly a ” IT Happens Only In India Moment”, … but I am glad you are OK, these shocks can be more damaging… Time to invest in some good rubber slippers or better buy a new plug :)

  11. Andrea Anastasiou October 5, 2014 at 1:41 pm - Reply

    That’s SO scary! Please be more careful – sorry, I sound like your mum now! :-)

  12. Michelle October 6, 2014 at 3:40 am - Reply

    Now I’ fascinated……Please write more about having a housekeeper; That would be a good post. Lots of mixed feelings about the subject.

  13. Tim | UrbanDuniya October 8, 2014 at 6:48 am - Reply

    OMG! I’m glad you survived that!! (But then, as you probably already know, most people survive anything – for better or for worse – in India!!).

    Stick with Hindi – it will be worth it in the end!

    • Rachel Jones October 8, 2014 at 7:16 pm - Reply

      Lol so true! and yes I shoudl stick with it. have some travels coming so that i can’t go to class but will take my book and read on

  14. Glamourous Journeyler October 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm - Reply

    Ouch! sorry to hear that. But happy to hear you’re ok (and have a story to tell!)

Like the Article? Leave a Reply